Egg cryopreservation is nowadays the only technique that allows a woman to safely conserve her eggs for future use. This simple technique that offers excellent results is performed in Ginefiv since 2006. The process involves 3 stages:
- Ovarian stimulation: it entails inducing a multiple ovulation through the administration of hormonal treatments. The patient will need to do several ultrasound scans to follow-up the follicle growth. The duration of this stage will depend on the woman’s ovarian response, though it usually lasts between 12 and 14 days.
- Egg retrieval: it entails an easy ambulatory surgery lasting approximately 15 minutes during which the mature oocytes are retrieved.
Is it a painful surgery?No, most patients undergoing an egg retrieval do not consider it as painful.
- Egg cryopreservation: Once the eggs have been obtained, they are cryopreserved by vitrification. This technique involves a rapidly cell solidification at low temperature, avoiding ice formation. Immediately after vitrification, the eggs are placed in nitrogen tanks where they will be kept until the patient requires them.
When is egg cryopreservation indicated?
Fertility preservation: Egg cryopreservation offers the possibility of fighting against the effects that aging causes on women’s reproductive system. The older the woman gets (especially over 35 years old), the more her reproductive system deteriorates:
- There is a gradual decrease of fertility due to ovarian aging.
- In case the pregnancy is achieved, there is a gradual decrease of the chances of having a healthy child.
For this reason, this technique is recommended for women between 30 and 35 years old who are single or who simply wish to postpone motherhood.
Medical indication: Egg cryopreservation is recommended for women who are going to undergo a treatment which causes an irreversible damage to the eggs, such as chemotherapy or radiotherapy.
Ethical-moral reasons: Egg cryopreservation avoids embryo freezing for those couples whose moral prevents them from doing it. In this case, the biologists will only fertilise those eggs to be transferred and will freeze the remaining ones for future use, if needed.
Increase the chances of getting pregnant for women with low ovarian reserve.